Throughout the course of #MakeADalekMakeAFriend I received many requests for a nerdy swap that wasn't limited to one fandom or theme. That's when I started thinking seriously about a #NerdsCraftItBetter swap. I wanted a swap where the IG craft-o-sphere would to be able to celebrate all of the things that make us nerdy in all the ways that we like to create things. For me, this swap isn't just about making cool geek stuffs. It's about celebrating who we are and the things we really love to do.
Now, even the most inclusive of swaps need to have some rules. Please read carefully before clicking the link at the bottom.
1. You must have an active and public Instagram account to participate. An active and open feed makes it easier for your partner to find out info about you and your tastes so that they can create with you specifically in mind. Also, posts from private accounts will not show up in the hashtag feed for people who are not following you. This is non-negotiable. I apologize to those of you who are unwilling or unable to be public (understandably for many good reasons) but I just can't handle that particular headache right now.
2. We will use #NerdsCraftItBetter to tag our work and keep up with our swap community. You must post to the hashtag at least 3 times (essentially once a month) during the course of the swap. Being active makes it more exciting for us all. If the swap grows large enough to need swap group overlords you will also be required to tag your group and your swap mama/papa. Posting a shot of your finished creation and the package you receive is mandatory.
3. You must create and post a mosaic of the geek stuff you love and types of crafts you would like made for you. Include a broad range of items in many craft styles and varying difficulty levels. Please also have examples of your work and the kinds of crafts you enjoy in your feed. You may also direct swappers to other sites such as Pinterest and Flickr for ideas on your taste and aesthetic.
4. Be aware that this is a general crafting swap. It is open to all kinds of crafters. I will attempt to match up partners based on crafting style and requests, but I'm not making any promises. You need to be OK with the possibility of receiving any kind of craft (sewn, quilting, knit, crochet, painting, sculpture, mixed media, etc).
5. You must complete the Google Docs form with your info. Remember, this is what your partner uses to create for you so be clear and specific.
6. This is a blind swap. You will create something for your partner in secret and not reveal your identity until your package is received. You will not know who is creating for you.
7. You must create one medium-sized handmade project that pertains to at least one of your partner's expressed interests and include one small extra item (handmade or purchased). Anything additional is left to your discretion.
8. Quality matters. Intentionally think on your partner's likes and tastes when designing your project. Create using quality crafting supplies and take your time. We all want to receive something that is meaningful and well done. Do not expect to half-ass something together and not get some serious public shade from me and be blocked from further swaps that I coordinate.
9. Communication matters. It is mandatory to respond to DMs/emails from me and any swap overlord in a timely manner. I don't mean you have to respond immediately, but if it's been three or four days and I haven't had an email back I will assume that you are flaking. Swappers who do not communicate will be eliminated from the swap and their maker will be instructed to forward their creation to the swapper's partner.
10. Sign-ups will close January 15th. My goal is to have partner assignments and form responses out no later than February 1st. I will be keeping a close eye on the numbers. If I do not have enough group overlord volunteers to accommodate the number of swappers, I will close sign ups early.
11. The deadline for posting packages will be May 1st for international swappers and May 14th for local swappers. This will give you a full three months to create for your partner. Carefully consider your current schedule and the time needed to create at your pace and still meet the deadline prior to signing up. You must send tracking info (or customs info for international swappers, as tracking is cost-prohibitive) to me and any swap overlord when you post your package.
12. Say thank you. Your partner spent time, energy, and money to create something just for you. Acknowledge that gift and be sincere. We are a community and should treat one another with friendship, love and respect.
13. Please, please, please resist the urge to sign up if you can not complete the swap. Speaking from experience, it is no fun to have a partner who disappears and doesn't acknowledge gifts received or send creations to others. It's also hurtful to your partner and stressful for me for swappers to be tardy in creating and mailing packages. That being said, I understand that life can sometimes be a total bee-otch. Please communicate with me ASAP if something happens and you can no longer participate so that I can recruit an angel swapper to take your place. Again, swappers who flake without cause or without prompt and effective communication will be banned from my future swaps.
14. Have lots of nerdy fun. If your partner is into something you are unfamiliar with, take the time to delve into a new geeky interest. Learn a little about each other and don't apologize for what you love.
Sign Ups are Now Closed
Thanks for sharing my love of all things nerdy and crafty and playing along with me. May the Force be with you!